prominent human rights violations in Darfur


On August 9, 2019, armed group shot at farmers in the Naivasha camp in Shangil Tobai,
North Darfur, killing four people who are:

  1.  Ahmed Adam Omar Ahmed
  2. Ismail Abdul Jabbar Abdul Rahman
  3. Abdul Rahman Saleh Al-Taher
  4. Ali Nour Mosa Mohamed

Another citizen Adam Abdul Shakor Osman Mohamed died of his wounds at El Fasher
Hospital on a later date. The incident unfolded when the group attacked the farmers after
the herders’ livestock destroyed the farms of the citizens. The cattle were handed to the
police of Shangil Tobai, causing the group to fire at the farmers. Huqooq learned that the
group belongs to the Rapid Support Forces or the Janjaweed Arabs based on eyewitness

Right to peaceful assembly

Darfur / Administrative Unit of Asinga:
Huqooq documented 3 cases of gunshot injuries caused by attacks from security services
against unarmed citizens in the Administrative Unit of Asinga, which borders Chad and is
30 km away from El Geneina in Darfur on the 31st of October. Demonstrations broke out
denouncing the continuous arrests of citizens and subjecting them to torture in detention
after an arrest of a citizen. The injured are:

  1. Yasser Abdullah / citizen
  2. Mohammed Abdullah / citizen
  3. Adel Ibrahim / policeman

Darfur / Mershing Locality:
Huqooq gathered information on the case of Munir Ahmed Hamid, 25, killed by the
Rapid Support Forces according to eyewitness statements. The killing was in connection with the demonstrations in the Mershing locality, South Darfur, on Sunday the 15th
September 2019.
The security forces also killed Adam Mohammed Adam Abdel Rahman, 22, and both
Ahmed Jafar Daoud and Asa’ad Mohammed Abaker were injured. On the second day of
demonstrations on the 16th of September, the aforementioned party, fired a barrage of
gunshots at unarmed citizens leading to the death of Abu Al-Qasim Ahmed Mohammed.

Arbitrary detentions, torture and other forms of ill-treatment

Huqooq documented 5 cases of arbitrary arrests by the security services and kidnappings
by the RSF and observed the use of various methods of torture on detainees leading to
injuries and the death of a detainee.
According to survivors, a group of governmental forces belonging to the Rapid Support
Forces arrested “s” 57-year-old, “A” 35-year-old and “M” 32-year-old in Nyala, Darfur
on Friday, September 13, 2019.

  • Details of Event:

The Rapid Support Forces detained “S” and “M” from his home at 7 pm and took
them to Camp Kashlengo (the Rapid Support Forces Training Camp) without
giving reasons for their detention. They stripped them of their clothes and
restricted their movement by tying them. They were subjected to harsh conditions
as they were severely beaten and tortured in all multiple forms.
The detainees were severely beaten and tortured in various forms, including
holding them in containers, forcing them to drink cups of chili pepper and put the
chili pepper on different parts of their bodies, such as their necks and faces
according to the statement of “S”:
“I asked for a glass of water, and he said to me: Do you want water? I
answered yes. He ordered one of the soldiers to bring a glass of water and
he met the orders by bringing two glasses of hot sauce and forced us under
threat to drink it and when we refused, they used iron rods to open our
lips”.Huqooq also learned that the victims had been injected with hot sauce in the

rectum four times during their detention, their bodies were also covered in it.
They were also lashed after being thrown into a roadside creek for four hours.

“Someone went to get an injection of hot sauce, and they held us to the
floor and injected it into the rectum. We got injected four times in two

According to the victims, the arrests followed the claim of the governmental
forces that “M” had stolen a tire of their land cruiser, the latter denied all
allegations, explaining that the tire he had belonged to his brother in law “A” and
did not know where their tire was.

After questioning him for details on his brother-in law’s whereabouts he was tied
and placed in a pickup, while six members of the governmental force arrested “A”
with two others at 2 am.

The next morning, their bodies were tied together and were whipped about 40
lashes. “S” also mentioned to Huqooq that the force insulted them in various
ways, as one of the officers spat at “S” after they responded to them, stressing
once again that this only tire in their possession and that no one knows where
their tire is.

The officer smashed “S’s ” finger after repeatedly beating it with a rock, requiring
his finger to be amputated. There was also an attempt to remove his fingernail
using pliers.

Huqooq learned that all the victims were threatened with death and burial in a
nearby cemetery where no one would know what happened to them.

After spending two days in detention, the victims were released, by an order of
the commander of the force, and they were returned to their homes. starting with
“M” and then the other detainees, except for “S”.

He was left in front of the hospital and the officer tried to persuade “S” not to report, as he requested not to report them, and in return, he put him an amount of 150 pounds and promised him
to return “M” to the service with the Rapid Support Forces and give him all his
dues. It is worth noting that “M”, previously worked for the RSF and for reasons
unknown by his family he was dismissed and then moved to work in the
entrepreneurial market.

On September 15, “M” died due to the torture inflicted on him, the forces had
threatened M’s mother to prevent her from taking any legal action. “S” filed a
complaint against the force with the mother of “M” and the first session was on
the 22nd of last November.

Evidence gathered by the Sudanese Human Rights Group indicates that the state’s
governmental forces continue to commit various crimes such as extrajudicial killings,
arbitrary detention, and torture in all its forms against civilians, in clear violation of
international humanitarian law and state law.

  1. To the Transitional Government: Strengthen monitoring of state forces and take
    appropriate measures to limit human rights abuses.
  2. Victims must be given justice by bringing the perpetrators to stand fair trials